Monday, February 19, 2007

What's in a Bean?

Yesterday we went cross-country skiing in, yes, the country! On our way back to the city, we stopped at a farm stand and picked up all sorts of home-made goodies: fresh tomato sauce, salsa, pickled beets, fruit pies, meat pies.. you name it! But I digress... this post is not about food, but about coffee.

All that fresh country air must have addled my brain. As I looked over at the coffee, I saw a sign: "Regular Coffee". I realized that I did not know the meaning of "regular coffee". Before I could stop myself, out of my mouth came: "What kind of coffee is it?" Meaning, of course, what kind of bean. The answer: Maxwell House.

Maxwell House? I was confused. What kind of coffee is that, I thought? My mind has become so bamboozled by the exigencies of buying coffee in the city, what with organic, fair trade, light, medium, dark roast, Guatemalan, Colombian, Costa Rican, vanilla-infused, cinnamon, and so on and so on. Our choices are forever expanding in this globalized, market-driven culture. Getting a simple cup of coffee is no longer simple. It's become An Event. I am used to dealing with so many choices that I did not know what to make of this one-choice situation. For a shocked moment, I stood in the store, unsure of what to think. And then, thank goodness, common sense took over and I poured myself a cup. It was a refreshing change. The coffee was medium-bodied and smooth, and most importantly, hot. Maxwell House, you're good to the last drop!

~ Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat. -Alex Levine ~

No comments: